A quick review of some of the most overlooked compliance requirements.
OSHA and HIPAA regulations are in place to create a safe work environment with policies to protect sensitive patient information. New guidelines, created to slow the spread of the COVID-19-19 virus, bring greater attention to the need to uphold protocols and standards of care. We’ve put together a quick review of some of the most overlooked compliance requirements. As you work through the list, create an action item list for your next staff meeting.
- Safety Officer appointed for the practice
- COVID-19 Officer appointed to oversee COVID-19 related protocols and standards
- OSHA systems and policies reviewed and updated in the practice
- Safety meeting notes documented at monthly staff meetings
- Annual training updates scheduled — HIPAA/OSHA/CPR and First Aid
- Replace expired Rx meds in the emergency kit
- Review fire and emergency evacuation plan
- Inventory SDS information, update and remove products no longer used
- Review location of ER kit, mercury spill kit, and AED
- Check AED batteries
- HIPAA Officer appointed for the practice
- HIPAA log of breaches submitted, if applicable
- Documents shredded for those past legally required time frames (see state specific guidelines)
- Business Associate Agreements updated and filed
- HIPAA compliant schedules utilized on computer monitors
- HIPAA compliant teledentistry platform in use
- HR manual reviewed and policies updated with changes posted
- Job descriptions reviewed and updated (to include any additional COVID-19 related duties)
- 2020 calendars for equipment maintenance posted
- PPE donned and doffed in the appropriate sequence
- Operatories and instruments are disinfected and sterilized appropriately
- Potentially hazardous materials are disposed of appropriately
- The dental unit manufacturer’s recommendations are followed for maintaining and monitoring water quality
- Sterilization is regularly monitored
Hiring an outside service can take a tremendous burden off the dental practice and their team while making sure the dental practice remains compliant and not complacent. Burkhart provides resources, through your Account Manager and Practice Support Team, to make compliance achievable and less daunting. We have complimentary checklists many of our dentists find beneficial to review at team meetings. Burkhart has also collaborated with Compliance Training Partners, an outside service that provides a wealth of easy-to-use compliance resources and products. Our goal is to give you the confidence of knowing you are fully compliant.
Your success is our success. Please reach out to us anytime.
Learn more, visit the Practice Support Team page, email us at PracticeSupportTeam@BurkhartDental.com, or call 1.800.665.5323.
Category: Practice ConsultingBack to Articles