Teach Your Team
Environmental Protection/PPE Updates
Prepare the practice with proper safety measures, including the correct PPE for staff, as recommended by the ADA, CDC, and your state governing agencies. Take a look at these PDFs for guidance: Interim Mask and Face Shield Guidelines and ADA Return to Work Interim Guidance Toolkit.
Meet with your team again remotely to review protocols and safety measures; this allows the team an opportunity to feel safe and better explain safety measures to patients (see “Patient Reassurance – Measures to Take“). This may include the following:
- N95, or level 3 surgical masks, in addition to face shields for high aerosol producing procedures
- Front desk team members should follow the guidelines from ADA and CDC regarding PPE
- High vacuum use for high aerosol producing procedures, including ultrasonic instrumentation by hygienists. Dental assistants should support hygienists with the HVE during ultrasonic scaling procedures.
- Incorporate rubber dams whenever possible
- Pre-procedural rinses
- Air purifying systems
- Extraoral HVE options
- Temperature checks on all staff members and patients at arrival
- Disposable gowns
- Antibody testing
- Shoe coverings
- Additional guidance: Monitor the ADA website for the latest recommendations regarding PPE and sterilization protocols.
The WHO released a series of videos focused on protecting the team and patients from COVID-19 during the current pandemic and beyond.
COVID-19 Infection Control Protocols & Procedures (ADA Webinar)
Return to work safely with guidance from infection control experts representing OSAP. In this on-demand webinar from the ADA, you’ll learn ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic for your dental practice, gain advice geared specifically toward preventing the spread and hear answers to commonly asked questions.
Currently the ADA is recommending using the highest level of PPE available when treating patients. This video covers the mandatory requirements for any team member required to wear a tight-fitting respirator to do their job.
A federal OSHA video on how to conduct a user seal check using an N95 respirator.
Q&A on PPE and Insurance Reimbursement with Theresa Duncan (Dental Assistant Nation Podcast)
Join listeners as Theresa Duncan – dental insurance expert from OdysseyMgmt.com – joins the show to talk about PPE and the potential opportunities for reimbursement. She discusses which code to use and how to address it with your patients.
Sequence for Donning and Doffing PPE (CDC PDF)
In an illustrated PDF, the CDC reviews the standard sequences for putting on and removing PPE and respirators to minimize potential contamination.
Catch webinars and on-demand videos from the ADA with the latest guidance for managing your practice and caring for your staff and your own mental health and well-being. New events are added regularly.
On-demand Webinars for ADA members: